Do your kids ever get mad?
Yea, they all do.
If you answered no to this question you’re either lying or need to go to the comments below and tell us your secrets. 😛
There are so many ways to help kids with their anger whether it’s learning some new relaxation tips, explaining or reading.
I’m here to cover the reading part!
I’ve noticed that it helps my kids and the other kids I take care of when we sit down and read books together. They’re in a good mood when we sit to read so they can listen and understand explanations better.
So, we sit, and we read. We vote on books to read (all anger books in this case) and either I will read it or one of the kids will read it based on their reading level.
When doing this, they get an outside perspective of someone being angry, so it isn’t their story they’re reading. It isn’t them, who got in trouble for something, that you’re explaining it to while they’re angry or upset for being in trouble, etc.
This is a whole new person, with pictures and colors and they get to read it with their friends or hear their friends read it. (It works at home without friends too!)
When the book is done we discuss it. One kid or ten, discussion is a great way for them to comprehend things better. It also gives them different aspects on the subject. They hear what I say, or their friends or siblings say and it may be something they didn’t think about. But, it might just be that ONE thing that helps them remember!
Lets get to it then!
I’ve arranged the list based on age, youngest to oldest.
Here are ANGER books for kids:
- The Angry Dragon. Age 3-5. This colorful book is about a boys pet dragon who is, well, angry! He gets angry for different reasons but he learns that it isn’t the right way! Very cute for the littles in your life. (The bigs even liked the dragon too!)
- When I Feel Angry. Age 3-6. This is an E-book about a cute bunny who gets angry! The important part about this book is that she has to make sure she’s not hurting anyone while learning to deal with her anger.
- Anh’s Anger. Age 4-8. Anh has to learn to deal with his anger, and he learns in a different way from the other books. He sits with his anger. This is an intriguing book! It also helps them with expressing their emotions.
- Cool Down and Work Through Anger. Ages 4-8. This is a great book about anger for kids! It touches many subjects such as talking, listening, and especially being nice even if you’re angry!
- Angry Octopus: An Anger Management Story, introducing active progressive muscular relaxation and deep breathing. Age 5-12. The book title explains this book well! It teaches muscle relaxation exercises for kids to deal with their anger.
- I Feel Mad! Tips for Kids on Managing Angry Feelings. Age 6-12. This is an interesting find, it’s a workbook! This helps kids learn and work through the book helping them remember. The writing and activities might help them to calm down as well!
- How to Take the GrrRR Out of Anger. Age 8-13. This is a cute illustrated book that combines knowledge with humor. Keeping the older kids engaged and wanting to read ant learn! Not only does it help them with anger and themselves, but others as well.
I don’t think there is one universal way to teach kids about anger. All kids are different and learn differently. The diversity in these books is amazing!
They are listed under age groups but I don’t think it’s always necessary. The older kids can learn from the younger kids books, if it teaches them.
There are many different ways to handle anger as shown in this selection!! If one way doesn’t work, try another way. Don’t give up!
Let’s get our little ones some anger education. This will help them now and throughout their whole lives!!
What do you think? Have you read any of these or do you plan to? Let me know below!